mp3's any one?

Subject: mp3's any one?
From: dhul (dhull@digitaloverload.net)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 09:00:39 AKDT

I wanted an easy to use mp3 player that anyone could use. Well, I finaly did it. I chose Debian as the distro and after sevral days of searching found all but one program has a deb package.

When you log in as the user "music" a menu pops up. You get three choices.

1. Play music
2. Rip a cd
3. Midnight Commander
4. Exit

Right now "Play music" only allows you to play mp3's. I need to add a cd player. The really cool option is "Rip a cd". Here's how it works.

1. Make sure the system is connected to the Internet
2. Put a CD in the drive
3. Select "Rip a cd"

When riping a CD the system gets the song titles from a database on the Internet. It lists the tracks, song titles and shows progress for riping and encoding. What you end up with is a folder with the album title and inside that are all the songs in mp3 format.

Here is what you need:

1. download and install "lame" (mp3 encoder)
2. apt-get install cdparanoia (cd riping tool)
3. apt-get install pdmenu (menu system)
4. apt-get install jack (script for riping and encoding)
5. apt-get install aumix (audio mixer)

Once you have all the software installed just configure and enjoy.

You will need to set some device file permissions so the user hass access to the CD and audio devices. Other then that everything is just a man page away.

I'm hoping someone else will try this out and make some improvements.

Note: This is all console based and running on a K6 300 with about 45MB RAM.