forced to use ISP's MTA

Subject: forced to use ISP's MTA
From: Damien Hull (dhull@digitaloverload.net)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 20:32:28 AKDT

After about an hour of trying to send email I have figured out that I
need to use my ISP's MTA to send email. For some reason my ISP has
decided that they don't want people connecting to MTA's on the net.

SMTP traffic is not allowed outside my ISP.

My guess is that my ISP thinks we users might cause trouble by
connecting to MTA's we shouldn't be connecting to (relaying spam). This
is a nice idea and it may even cut down on the amount of spam we have on
the net.

How ever, I don't like it. What this means is that my ISP has control
over my email. If they want to they can read my mail or do what ever
they want with it.

I probably don't have anything to worry about but I would like to send
my mail through an SMTP server of my choosing.