routing H E L P!!!!!!!!

Subject: routing H E L P!!!!!!!!
From: Scott Johnson (sjohnson@akghetto.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 01:28:50 AKDT

ok... no idea what happened, but I came home tonight and my RedHat mySQL
server that's been up for 2 months straight isn't responding to pings. It's
a headless box so I go down into the crawl space to see what the problem is.

Link light on switch is fine. Link light on NIC is fine. Haven't SSH'd
into this box, let alone changed any settings for at least a month. Log
into terminal and I can't ping ANYTHING outside the box. ifconfig info
looks fine. was using a static IP but I changed my network scripts to do
DHCP. Do a quick ifdown eth0; ifup eth0 and it gets an IP from my DHCP
server just fine. Do a route command and the routing "looks" fine, however
it is going slow trying to resolve the hostnames of the IP's (trying to do a
reverse lookup) but once again, it doesn't "see" anything outside this box;
eventually the route command succeeds and looks fine as far as default
gateways, local IP addresses..... Which is the strangest thing especially
since getting a dhcp lease works great but nothing else seems to work.

I know I haven't given anyone much to go with, but where can I start
troubleshooting the networking problems on this? I don't have a great deal
of experience with Linux, so any help is appreciated. The OS is RH 8.2.
And unfortunately I don't have anything handy like netconf installed do help
us out, so everything I do is through VI. No diskdrive or CDROM on this
machine either.

HELP PLEASE!!!! ANY help appreciated!!! I'm desperate! This is the SQL
backend to my webserver so now a couple of my websites are completely
offline!!!!

Scott

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s