waveguide theory / Any RF comms folk on list?

Subject: waveguide theory / Any RF comms folk on list?
From: Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@woods.net)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 15:33:29 AKDT

I seem to be running into a brick wall on finding useful info on some
waveguide stuff, specificly proper calculation of Lg v.s.
Lo, and what applies to where, ie spacing of a monopole coupler needs
to be calculated against Lg, but does monopole length need to be
calculated against guide wavelength, adjusted L for the conductor
size used for the monopole, or some combination of the two.

I would suspect monopole length should be calculated based on element
size, and placement based on guide wavelength (seems sensible to me),
but I keep seeing secondary claims both ways, and no real data. I
would think that (if anything) one would have to further shorten the
monopole (rather than lengthen it as would happen if you calced from
Lg) due to extra capacitance from the enclosure.

Then there are the folks arguing for a cone shaped monopole element as
a better /wideband/ coupler. Given the fairly narrow band from cutoff
to where secondary propagation modes kick in I fail to see how this
would be any different than a uniform diameter element of equal
surface area.

Anyone with the clue I lack, please feel free to slap me down and or
point me in the right direction. :)

--
I route, therefore you are.