upgrade and restore

Subject: upgrade and restore
From: volz (volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 17:02:56 AKDT

Hello:

 I have a system that has been very stable and reliable over the years. I hate
to mess with a good thing. It is now running rh7.1.I have upgraded this machine
several times with no loss of utility. I believe that the original install was
rh6.0. This system runs a bunch of applications that have their roots in old
libs, (old perl, old versions of glibc, all kind of stuff). I have upgraded this
machine several times with no loss of utility. I find myself needing to bring
the system up to date again. But I am a little worried I may lose some of the
applications or break one of our processes in the upgrade. Is there a utility or
method to restore the system to its current glory if the upgrade is
unsuccessful, short of a hard metal restore?

 - Karl Volz

Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility
2811 Merrill Field Dr.
Anchorage AK 99501