spam filtering

Subject: spam filtering
bryan@ak.net
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 04:19:47 AKDT

I'd like to report to the list that I now have spam filtering set
up on my personal box. It's a nice collaboration among different
programs.

When qmail tries to deliver a message to my user account, it gets
routed through bogofilter. If it's judged to be spam, it gets put
in the spam mailbox, otherwise my usual box. I use mutt to read
my mail, and used two convenient macros to register messages as
spam/not-spam during the training phase.

It wasn't that hard to set up, and I'm happy with the situation.
I would have expected Bayesian filtering to be complicated, but
bogofilter takes care of the details, and is easy to use from a
user perspective.

If anyone is curious, I'll field questions, but keep in mind I
only learned enough to just get it working.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net