Re: failover ethernet

Subject: Re: failover ethernet
amv@akvalentine.com
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 08:24:46 AKDT

> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 amv@akvalentine.com wrote:
>

>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I am installing a new Linux server that has dual ethernet, one Gigabit
>> NIC and one 10/100 NIC.
>>
>> I currently have it setup using the Gigabit NIC, but I would like to
>> plug the 10/100 NIC into a separate switch, then fail over to it if
>> the Gigbit NIC, or the switch it's plugged into, fails.
>>
>> I've done the requisite google search, and I found this (
>> http://ps-ax.com/failoverd/ ) project, but before I implement it, I
>> would like to know if anyone has used it, or has any other ideas,
>> commments, pointers, flames, etc.
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> The type of failover system you use depends entirely on what you are
> wanting to failover for.
>
> Service takeover within a cluster would be something for heartbeat or
> similar from the Linux-HA folks, multiple network paths is (usually)
> handled by routing protocols, except in the case of an
> EtherChannel/Bonding pairing (but this only handles card/link failure
> not switch or downstream issues).
>
> --
> I route, therefore you are.

I will take a look at the Linux-HA project and see what's up, but my needs
are pretty simple. I just want to ensure that the box remains accesable
in the event of a NIC failure or switch failure.

I am envisioning a script or daemon that runs on the box and monitors the
network connection. If it detects it as being down, it will bring eth0
down and eth1 up with the same IP address.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but that should allow network access to
the box if the Gigabit NIC or the switch it's plugged into fails. It will
probably disconnect existing sessions, but I can deal with that.

Thanks!

Anthony