linux NFS client

Subject: linux NFS client
From: volz (volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 09:31:40 AKDT

Hello,

 We have been noticing poor writes to our WindowsPowered NAS (~.5 Mb/sec). The
shared disks on the server are NFS mounted to linux clients running 2.4.18
kernels. It is well documented that earlier versions of linux NFS performed
poorly with servers running other OS's, including Solaris and Irix. We have
validated these results, linux to linux screams, but linux client writes to
solaris/windows bites.

 (See:
http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfs-perf/results/cel/write-throughput.html,
http://www.scd.ucar.edu/hps/TECH/LINUX/linux.html,
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/)

 So far the things we have tried are:

 - We have mounted the server -o
hard,intr,rsize=[default|4096|8192],wsize=[default|4096|8192],vers=3

 - The nics on both server and client have been manually set to 100 full.

 - crossover cable and switched network connections. To eliminate/validate
network. (ftp transfers are ~8-10 Mb/sec)

 Does anyone know whether newer kernels or stable patched linux kernels address
this problem? And what type of perfomance Trond's latest patched kernels are
capable of?

 - Karl Volz

Research Associate
Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility