samba/tar backing up Windows data

Subject: samba/tar backing up Windows data
From: Andy (lug@firman.us)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 15:20:18 AKDT

The little script pasted below works great for doing full
backups everynight of several small 2000/NT servers I manage.
All the servers have less than 20GB of data. This is on-site backup.
(by the way, this is a great way to get Linux into small businesses)

But now I am doing an install where we need to backup over
50GB of data. Doing a full copy everynight seems like overkill
since we are dealing with a larger data volume.

Is there any way I can use mtime or something to do incremental
backups using a sambar/tar combination?

Rsync would be perfect but I have had no luck with it when
dealing with Windows servers. Rsync is awesome for backing
up Linux to Linux. Any other Linux tools I should look at?

#!/bin/bash

mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=admin //server/D$ /mnt

( tar cf - /mnt ) | ( cd /home/backup ; tar xpf - )

umount /mnt

echo This is to notify the backup is done tonight. | mail client@company.com

Any comments are welcome.

--