suse 8.1 ftp problem

Subject: suse 8.1 ftp problem
From: James Dory (jdory@gci.net)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 12:46:25 AKST

Hey,

I was trying to install Suse 8.1 onto an old Dell poweredge server
(Pentium II Klamath) with 64 MB of ram via ftp on one of the suse
mirrors. Got as far as connecting to the mirror, then got an error
message "not enough memory - enable some swap space" or something
thereabouts. Click ok and then a dialog opens up for specifying the swap
space, giving an example of /dev/sda1.

I have a couple scsi drives on the computer so typed in the /dev/sdb5
partition where swap resides from a 7.3 installation. I get an error
saying something like error reading swap or error reading disk, don't
remember exactly... but tried several different things. Went back in to
the old install and even blew away a windows partition and created a new
swap on /dev/sda1. No change when trying to install 8.1. I tried every
partition number I had.

Unfortunately there's no similar sticks of memory to be had in Nome to
add to the ram, which seems like it would be the easiest solution. But
just curious if anyone's run into this or would know what went wrong.

Sorry about inexact error messages but I gave up and am reinstalling 7.3
(making several changes so easier for me to reinstall than to muck
around) and therefore cannot recreate them.

Cheers, Jim