Postfix Prob and Fix on a Mandrake 9.0 box

Subject: Postfix Prob and Fix on a Mandrake 9.0 box
From: shortpier (shortpier@shortpier.is-a-geek.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 01:48:32 AKST

Had an interesting thing happen Sunday morning at about 1:00 AM ....=20

I went and checked my Ntop http://www.ntop.org and saw that I had sent
40 MEGS of email from my Mandrake 9.0 box. in about 2 hours.. OUCH.=20

Found out that it was coming from a winblows box on the same class C
network as my MTA dsl. I had believed that it was secure and had opened
SMTP port for email on the firewall. It would accept from any of my
private IP's and the default mandrake postfix allows ANY host on a CLASS
C subnet that you belong to to use you for a relay.... =20

Only Open relay to Any Class C you are connected to ... Big Mistake as I
just found out.=20

To sum it up was able to fix the prob using Pop-before-smtp
http://popbsmtp.sf.net/ which I highly recommend to ANYONE using=20
postfix. What it does is require you to have a valid account on the box
that has been authorized by pop3 or Imap before you can use the SMTP on
the box.=20

Would have sent sooner but my box was on a 48 hour blacklist

Shortpier=20

--=20
10 mins, Bill Gates, and a baseball bat. Is this to much to ask God?

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --
-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part