Sharing CUPS printer for Windows boxen - close?

Subject: Sharing CUPS printer for Windows boxen - close?
From: Lauren Horn (aklug@horns.org)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 21:57:29 AKST

Can anyone offer advice or another resource I can use in sharing out a
DeskJet?

I'll try to be brief, perhaps at the expense of vital information, but
my brain is buzzing and I have futzed around a lot on this one,
including some searches on Google Groups and cups.org. The truth may be
out there, but I'm missing it.

I have a DeskJet 880C connected via USB to an RH8.0 box (my main
machine), set up under cups. Local printing works well.

I would like to share this printer for the Windows 98 and Win2K boxes on
my home network. Given my druthers, I would like the Windows machines
to see this printer as a Deskjet speaking PCL, and not as some generic
postcript printer.

Here is the printer share as defined in /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[dj]
         path = /var/spool/samba
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         printing = cups
         printer name = DJ880C

FWIW, the spool directory exists with 777 permissions.

I set up a network printer on the Win98 machine with an appropriate (HP)
driver. When I attempt to print a test page, nothing appears to happen.
  Here's what I think is a relevant snippet from the Samba log for that
workstation:

[2003/03/16 21:02:10, 3] printing/print_generic.c:print_run_command(88)
   Running the command `lpr -r -PDJ880C smbprn.000004.DuHbiV' gave 1

I looked for the smbprn.* files, but didn't turn any up. Don't know if
it was deleted automatically, or never created.

I tested the lpr command by hand with a test file, and it does seem to
work, though the printed results of my "this is a test" string are
hardly recognizeable. I think this is possibly due to ghostscript
getting involved in the process.

Thanks to any and all for reading through this and for whatever aid you
can render. I'm going to go work on something reasonably predictable
now, such as wi-fi networking. ;)

-Lauren