Solved can't write to /usr/bin

Subject: Solved can't write to /usr/bin
From: Brad Bice (rbb@alaskapacific.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 15:56:30 AKST

Hi Folks,
Thanks to all who help with our problem "can't write to /usr/bin"

It turns out that another member of our staff, no longer here, had used
chattr +i -R to make the directory unwrittable.
Here is the relevant section of the man page for chattr

A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted
or renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be
written to the file. Only the superuser can set or clear this attribute.

Check out chattr, it has many options and seems to be a very useful
tool.

--
R.Brad Bice
Systems Administrator