busy system with Mandrake/KDE

Subject: busy system with Mandrake/KDE
bryan@ak.net
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 13:54:03 AKST

My uncle has a Compaq laptop with a K6-2 running at 300 MHz
(maybe more). I put Mandrake 8.1 on it for him, setup with
KDE, and it runs like a dog. It only has 32 megs of RAM,
which I'm sure is part of the problem, but here's the funny
part:

The 'free' command shows ~1meg free on the Mem line, like
normal, but about 12-18 megs free on the "+/- buffers/cache"
line. And even when several programs are running, and top
shows a load average as high as 5, it still reports a CPU
load of around 50%.

The system monitor tools don't seem to be reporting numbers
that make sense, given the behavior of the system. Can someone
enlighten me as to what's happening -- and even better, how
to make the system more responsive?

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net