Slackware vs Red Hat (or like distro)

Subject: Slackware vs Red Hat (or like distro)
From: petezilla! (descartes@bandemax.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 14:14:14 AKST

Hello world,
I've been using Slack 8.1 for the better part of year. I'm very happy
with my distro of choice, I've been able to do everything I've wanted
which has been quite a bit. I'm adding a computer for the other "zilla".
 She's grown accustomed to using KDE and would very much like to use
Linux on this coming computer (makes me smile).

The meat of the matter: she needs to use a printer. I've never
configured a printer within Slackware before. I've never needed to. It
all seems fine from the searches I've done on the web. Things sometimes
aren't quite as smooth for me as I've read on the web. School's in
session, so times's thin for fighting with problems.

Basically, I'd like any information and/or warnings about certain
printer brands and printer configurators within distros (particularly
the two listed but if you feel another distro might be better please
tell me). Thanks for any and all help/advice/war stories. : )

Regards,
Peter Steven House