HTTP + HTTPS

Subject: HTTP + HTTPS
From: furbs (furbs@mail.swjedi.net)
Date: Fri Jan 01 1999 - 02:29:07 AKST

Has anyone had experience in setting up a server to allow HTTP and HTTPS
requests in Apache 2.0? It seems the old settings from Apache 1.3 do not work
the same. Right now, my server only allows HTTPS access, or HTTP. But I can't
get it to do both. If I try to access http://www.swjedi.net it tells me:

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

Hint: https://www.swjedi.net:80/

I do not want port 80 to be ssl-enabled. Here is my virtual host configuration
and SSL VH configuration:

======== httpd.conf ========
Listen *:80
ServerName www.swjedi.net
NameVirtualHost www.swjedi.net
<VirtualHost www.swjedi.net>
         ServerName www.swjedi.net
         DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm index.shtml
        ServerSignature email
        LogLevel warn
         HostNameLookups off
</VirtualHost>
============================
========= ssl.conf =========
Listen *:443
<VirtualHost www.swjedi.net>
SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/...<myfile>
SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/share/...<myfile>
SSLCACertificateFile /usr/share/ssl/...<myfile>
</VirtualHost>
============================

Thats some of the basic information. There is a lot more that I didn't write
in. If you need more information that you think may relate to the problem let
me know. Right now, my workaraound is the following line:

ErrorDocument 400 https://www.swjedi.net/

in my httpd.conf, but I would like to offer most of my site over a none-ssl
connection. As well as user sites. Help is much appreciated.

     Brian ThunderEagle
      - http://www.swjedi.net
      - furbs@swjedi.net
      - bthundereagle@aidea.org