Predicting the weather with Linux at the National Weather Service

Subject: Predicting the weather with Linux at the National Weather Service
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 01:39:55 AKST

NewsForge: The Online Newspaper of Record for Linux and Open Source
Tuesday January 28, 2003 -- By Norbert Cartagena -

        http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/01/27/2324236.shtml?tid=4

"Linux first appeared on the NWS scene in 1995 in the form of Slackware,
which they used for their quantitative precipitation forecasting (QPF).
 ... They also use it extensively for their Advanced Weather Interactive
Processing System (AWIPS), allowing them to prepare their forecasts and
view their model data.

 ... they currently use a number of HP workstations with three monitors.
... an nVidia 64 megabyte dual monitor card and a 32 megabyte nVidia PCI
card, by using what he refers to as "gaming cards," they're able to take
some of the load off the systems with their graphical models, including
better refresh rates and alleviating some of the swapping between the
hard disk and the processors. Both GNOME and KDE have the capability to
recognize the three screens ...

 ... For the desktop, they've been using OpenOffice.org's suite ...
VMWare. In
addition, one of Kirkwood's favorite advantages is the availability of
numerous Linux user groups, both at home and abroad. Support from the
community "is excellent," he says. "To me, that's a plus. A huge plus."