Mandrake 9.0 problems

Subject: Mandrake 9.0 problems
From: Jan Zumwalt (jwzumwalt@neatinfo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 13:47:30 AKST

I noted that several Mandrake 9.0 problems hit the fan over the last few
weeks. I am using it for development and discovered the Mandrake team was
missing many (LOTS & LOTS) library files. Additionally, they have a bug that
causes the RPM update utility to report libraries and programs being
pdated - that have NOT been updated.

In my case, I found Mandrake to be missing substantial libraries for MESA,
Opengl, and some other more exotic support files. When I thought I had
reloaded them, my problems persisted. The two problems mentioned above back
to back was killing me. Anyway, here is the cause. I thought it may help
others from wasting a week of their time…

RPM - Everything already installed."
Error scenario: When using urpmi or rpmdrake, there is an error about
package not found before accessing the CD-ROM. Another possible error
message is "Everything already installed."
Why: The installer mis-configured the medium description of Contribution
packages.
Solution: Insert the Installation CD (CD-ROM #1) and issue the command
"urpmi.update cdrom8" as root.
Jan Zumwalt