Home Router Setup

Subject: Home Router Setup
From: Mike Mintz (mikemintz@subdimension.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 17:50:14 AKST

Hi,

I have a private network for home computers, and we have 56k to connect out.
What I would like to do, is setup my linux computer (running Gentoo right
now) to act as a router or gateway (I don't really know much about the terms
or anything), have it connect out with 56k, and have the other computers use
the internet through it. I set ENABLE_FORWARDING_IPv4 to "yes" in
/etc/conf.d/iptables, and then went to another computer and set the gateway
field to the local IP of the linux computer, and it did not work when I tried
to ping internet IP's. I wasn't really surprised, since I don't know much
about networking.

What is the general procedure for setting up Linux to do this? Basically, I
guess I want something like Windows' "Internet Connection Sharing", but that
doesn't require Windows (unless there is some port of it).

 - Mike Mintz