usb 1.1 vs 2.0

Subject: usb 1.1 vs 2.0
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 14:46:02 AKST

I picked up a epson 2450 usb 2.0/firewire scanner the other day. Have
been using it fine with usb 1.1, but when I tried using it to scan a
couple of slides, it took about 3 min per at the highest resolution.

Deciding this wasn't particularly acceptable, I picked up a SIIG usb
2.0/1394 combo card. My slides still take ~3 min per.

My system is a pIII 850/100 with 256 MB of ram and udma 66 hard-drives
so I don't believe system performance should be an issue. RH 7.3
recognized and setup the card without any real problems. 'USBVIEW'
reports that the scanner is running usb 2.0 at 480Mb/s of bandwidth
available.

Anybody know of anything I might check out to get this running any
faster? This is my first foray into usb 2.0 and I am a little clueless
here.

Jim Gribbin

BTW - Haven't gotten the firewire side of this working yet, seem to be
issues with sbp-2. Everything (sane-find-scanner, /proc/scsi/scsi) sees
the scanner, but every time I start xsane it segfaults with a message
about '[epson] Unknown type h or level a, using B3' that I'm still
trying to track. 'scaneimage' isn't working either.