Amanda listing

Subject: Amanda listing
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 08:47:36 AKST

If you want to get a listing of what is on the tape you can use amrestore.
The following commands depends on how you actually backed up the tape, what
kind of compression, etc. This is the command you would use with the
default setup when Amanda is first setup using the RPM's:

amrestore -p /dev/st0 | tar --list

This would give you a listing of all the files that were backed up by the
amanda tape program. This listing comes directly off of the tape. To
restore the same set of data you would use:

amrestore -p /dev/st0 | tar -x

This will restore the information to the directory that you are currently
sitting in.

What I tried was restoring directly to the / directory after having backed
up all the directories excluding:

/dev
/mnt
/proc
/lost&found
/tmp

I suppose it is possible I could have left all of those in except for maybe
/proc.

Anyone have any feedback for me?

BTW, when I rebooted everything seemed to come right back up. Took about an
hour to restore my machine from blank harddrives.

Aside from the initial frustration of getting it setup (which, again, was
totally my fault), I like Amanda alot...the tape backup program that is. :)

Mike