orb drives

Subject: orb drives
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 15:58:28 AKST

Hello there-

Has anyone had any experience with an "orb drive"? Along the vein of the Iomega
Jaz drive, ~2.2 Gb removable, made by Castlewood. So... it does not have
Iomega's track record of making crappy products. Not sure that it has ANY track
record.

They make devices in firewire, USB, EIDE and SCSI. I am getting a couple of
EIDE ones to try out. From my experience with JAZ drives (to know them is to
hate them), keeping anything that is already fairly slow off the scsi bus is a
big plus, and I am assuming that these are not nearly as fast as a regular HD.

SCSI is great, but SCSI errors are in my experience the major reason my various
machine lock up.

Don't see why they should not work w/ Linux, though not advertised that way.

Thoughts?

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |