Smoothwall

Subject: Smoothwall
From: i_robot (i-robot@gci.net)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 21:01:49 AKST

I'm back. Just in case anyone is wondering, the Ft. Greeley/Delta Junction area is just as warm as it is here....whatis going on?
anyway, I come home, and not to my suprise the wife lets me know "The Internet is down"
I noticed my smoothwall had not activated the green side.
So, without delay, I rebooted it. still nothing. So I hooked up a moniter.
As I watch it boot, horror floods my vision....

blah blah blah
Setting hostname
/dev/harddisk4 contains a file system with errors, check forced
/dev/harddisk4:
Unattached inode 354

/dev/harddisk4: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
     (i.e. without -a or -p options)
Checking root filesystem: Failed

So, I ran fsck. Ended up having to run it for all partitions....It's seemed to fix the problem. I rebooted, and everything worked. The first thing I did was check my logs....there wernt any. No logs to check.
So, my question is, what else should I be lloking for? Is a common crash with a simple fix, or was I hacked? All my passwords are intact...But, it seems hackerish to erase the logs. Could /var have gotten full and caused this? Advice requested.

Adam.