[Fwd: gigabit ethernet]

Subject: [Fwd: gigabit ethernet]
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 16:48:56 AKST

Kurt, give us a street address and one of us might play taxi this Friday
PM.
You probably have from 5+PM 'til midnight to dry-run your stuff ... and
several helpfuls to keep you from going too fast :-))

Last week my USB scanner got married to my SuSE 8.1 box, and a FreeBSD
mail server was loaded for the landlord's potential use, and the
Parallel Processing Class Beowulf Cluster showed signs of life, and a
local manufacturer's rep showed up to GIVE AWAY beautiful used aluminum
racks (all gone, right then :-), and the Lego-Mindstorm student
competition team got their own computer going with the assistance of
some pizza, and there was space + bandwidth for more.

I forget what else we did.

We don't have any schedule, and we never know who will show, but all who
do get to help someone else. If you show, you might get some help.

It's FRIDAY LINUX, self-hosted at the tech center for
"Interior-Distance-Education-of-Alaska.
        http://www.ideafamilies.org/

Yep, that "self-hosted" is right. It depends on AKLOGgers (sp ? )
helpful hands.

If the above isn't enough of an advert, let me ask for specific help:
IDEA home-school students mostly have computers. Lots of stuff gets done
online.
Many parents get interested when we tout the benefits of firewalls.
We need to do a live demonstration for (and with) them.
Proposal ...
 1) we connect several typical Windows boxes to a hub behind one of our
give-away firewalls.
 2) Someone-who-knows-how gets on another machine connected to the same
hub and uses appropriate four-letter-word-named software to peek into
those unprotected boxes.
Parents are allowed to stand behind this operator and see what he/she
sees in "their" boxes.
 3) At least one 'nix box can sit with the "student" machines. Is it
more secure?
 4) We move the dirty-deeds-operator to a box on the public side of said
firewall and do similarly dastardly deeds to see how much good a
firewall does.

Several parents say they would love such an opportunity.
There are plenty of machines, even an RGB projector in the CISCO class
space.
I can set up tables, run power cords, maybe even get some cookies (w/
sugar).
Jim Gribbin usually gets our various switches and hubs connected.
I don't know enough to do the dastardly-deeds.
WE NEED one or more DASTARDLY-DEEDS-OPERATORS ...

 ... and if what I propose isn't the best way to accomplish this, let's
talk about that.

The van-o'parts still has some '486-66 boxes to become giveaway
firwalls.
We give 'em away, charging only for the NICs.

Brian Tracy teaches both the Parallel Processing and the CISCO classes.
He works Anchorage this week and next, then Galena for two weeks.
Class is out by 5:30 PM. We stay later.

Stanley Long
337-2303