Ghost for Unix (g4u)

Subject: Ghost for Unix (g4u)
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 10:56:05 AKST

I know someone was inquiring about this a while back. This was just
posted to Slashdot this morning...

http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/g4u/

"g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows
easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs
using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two functions. First is to upload the
compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server. Other is to
restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk;
network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the harddisk is processes
as a image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using g4u."

And I thought this little tidbit was cool:

"One of the questions arising a lot is "what filesystems does g4u
support". The answer is: "all of them". g4u reads the disk bit by bit,
starting from byte #0 to the end. It includes any MBR, boot record,
partition table and the partitions themselves without further
investigating the structure of the data stored in these partitions."

Regards,
Justin