linux resources in Ak

Subject: linux resources in Ak
From: William Bouterse (bill@bouterse.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 17:25:41 AKDT

Please bear with me and this lengthy tome.....

Something has been echoing through my mind lately concerning
Linux in Alaska and the aklug list....
Being a rather limited contributor up to this point I have noticed
what might appear to be a useful addition ....
An alaska based info list for...hardware used successfully by users,
software used for specific application/situations,
job possibilities both present and potential...
skill based coop between members without regard to Distro able to
present alternate possibilities to organizations and businesses
giving them a "real-life" alternative to M$ Proprietary Hegemony.

Several times over the last several years here and in surrounding areas
I have noticed repeated instances of talented and highly skilled
individuals who leave or find themselves working far beneath their
capabilities......So an "Ak Linux Think Tank ?"

It would also be useful to desecribe linux-friendly hardware
and where it was purchased, company supportted linux products
which have worked well for Alaskan Linux Users, etc...

Several times I have noticed repeated requests for info from
new users (and advanced as well) concerning specific hardware needs
and requirements....A specific example is USB card R/W. Only one company that I know of has "the penguin" as well as the "other" logos
on their product and it worked flawlessly for me.....
So under "USB Card Reader/Writers" ..Omniflash Uno ... Works OOTB
"Linux-Friendly Company"....Or something to that effect...
I guess the Aklug.org site would be the appropriate place for some
of the above but I do not have the skills to volunteer......
BTW I do realize that the "search" option does some of this.

Excuse my ramblings but we in Alaska have a unique opportunity to
promote our favorite OS as well as create new work/job opportunities
throughout the state and maybe keep a few more Linux users/experts from
leaving the state.....

A case in point...A new expanding Non-profit with a multi-million dollar
expansion unit in the works had no idea there was anything other than
M$ products that could integrate into their present proprietary Information settup and possibly save them tens of thousands of $
and only through local intevention and "behind the scenes"
"ear-bending" did they even listen to anything other than the
"pied piper of Redmond"....What the end result will be is anyones guess.!
I am sure this is not any isolated situation ......

To those who have actually read this far;

Thanks for you attention :o)
(And thanks to all of the hard work and support
which has made aklug and its sister lugs possible)....

--
William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak.