CUPS: My Experience

Subject: CUPS: My Experience
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 12:52:27 AKDT

Greetings all you CUPS users;

I found I had to get rid of all the other printing thingys. That
ment plain old "lpd", as well as the SVR4 or BSD variations and
enhancements such as LPRng. I had to spend some time removing these
from my system so they could not be accidently called no matter how
obscure the piece of software might be that needed to call "lp" or
"lpr".

Then I installed the BSD style "cups-lpr" set of utilities so all
the software that might already be set up to call "lpr" would not
have to be changed. It took me some time to understand this point.

I also do not use the all too handy Gnome or KDE print thingys.
Should you like the flavor of these or the Qt print thingy, you need
to get the ones that interface with CUPS. I don't know what there
are available, and I don't know how they work. I use cli "lpr"
commands when I want to print a file. Note, this "lpr" command
really is part of the BSD style "lpd" thingy built expecially to
interface with CUPS.

Cheerio! fgd.