CUPS, RH8.0 and printers

Subject: CUPS, RH8.0 and printers
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 10:38:24 AKDT

Hello all-

We have several new boxes that we have loaded with RH 8.0. We are experiencing
great difficulty in getting these 8.0 boxes to see our HP network printers.
Using the RH print-switch utility, we stopped LPRng, then did a CUPS restart.
(For some reason LPRng is still the default print deamon for RH 8.0) We added
printers using the CUPS web interface. We CAN print test pages from the CUPS web
interface (so we know they are communicating via ethernet), but alas, we cannot
print from the command line using lpr. The error that results is along the lines
of:

"cannot connect to printer@localhost"

LPRng's lpr with the printer set up using RH's printconf utility did not work
either, giving a message

"cannot bind to lpd port 515 on lpd restart"

Anybody out there with wisdom that they would like to impart on this issue?

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |