Volunteer project - may be good for newbies

Subject: Volunteer project - may be good for newbies
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 09:40:39 AKDT

Hi all, there is a non-profit agency here in Anchorage that is interested in
setting up a Linux backup server. It will be running nightly backups from
an NT server. This Linux server will not be accessed by clients. Its sole
purpose will be to act as a backup archive for documents on the NT server.
I'll probably put Bind and Webmin on there for them as well.

I suspect this project will take 4 or 5 hours on a Saturday afternoon, some
time in October. This would be a great project for Linux newbies to get
acquainted with some of the common commands found in Linux. Participating
individuals are likely to learn about some of the following:

Linux installation (probably Red Hat)
Samba file sharing
Vi
Cron
IP networking
Bind
Webmin
A bunch of basic commands
... And a little bit of hardware installation

I got started on Linux with a volunteer project just like this (thanks
Mike), and it greatly increased my Linux comfort level.

This is a no-money proposition, compensation will come in the form of pizza,
soda, and hopefully a good time ;) . Otherwise its purely volunteer, the
agency already has the box, a new nic and a new hard drive. If anyone is
interested in helping out contact me off list, and we'll try to work out a
schedule that can accomodate everyone.

Thanks.

Chris.