Ethernet Interface Default Setup

Subject: Ethernet Interface Default Setup
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 17:25:32 AKDT

Greetings all;

Several months ago, I posted a query regarding the repetitive
logging to /var/log/messages regarding what appeared to be dhcp
traffic from the DSL modem. I received a number of replies, but
nothing sufficient to eliminate what appeared to be a benign
condition - excess chatter on the DSL link.

Yesterday, I was looking for firewall configuration files when I
noticed, not for the first time, that the default IPA of the NIC
connected to the DSL modem was set as "0.0.0.0". It dawned on me
this was the "anywhere" address used in IPTABLES. So I decided to
change it to something I could properly own. I choose 192.168.3.201
just to be different. I restarted the network setup script and to my
delight, the chatter ceased.

Well, that is a lesson to me. Cheerio! fgd

File: /etc/network/interfaces
  Stanza:before
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 0.0.0.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0

  Stanza:after
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
        address 192.168.3.201
        netmask 255.255.255.0

cli command to cause the interfaces to be reset (bash):

cd /etc/init.d
./networking restart