Re: kernel 2.4.18 with suse 8.0)

Subject: Re: kernel 2.4.18 with suse 8.0)
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 19:42:38 AKDT

Greg Madden wrote:
> Justin, I had another thought on the IDE issue & freeze ups. This can be
> obvious but it has affected me. The dma setting is important in getting
> any performance out of IDE controllers ..etc. I have found that it is
> not always enabled during an install. Just in case: hdparm.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I also tried the newest stable kernel
(2.4.19), but I can't get it to work quite right. The new kernel looks
gives me an error about 'can't access /dev/pg*' or something like that,
whereas in 2.4.18 it works fine configured as /dev/scd0.

Right now I have a fully-working Mandrake 8.2 install set up, so it's
not a big issue.. It just gets under my skin that an $80 SuSE 8.0
distro would have something like cd burning on a common drive like a
Plextor broken.. And I'm pretty sure it's not hardware
incompatibilities, since Mandrake got it right.. :) I'm suspecting
there's something in SuSE's kernel that is messing up, but so far I've
been unsuscessful at getting a self-compiled kernel to work properly,
even using the .config file from the SuSE install..

The closest I can figure is that it seems to panic as soon as the
burn-proof goes into action (as shown by the leds on the cd drive) But
the interesting thing is it doesn't always freeze. I've had the whole
burn process stopped for about a minute while accessing the DVD drive
without any problem, and then I try the exact same thing again and it
panics.

Also, I tried Debian, but it only configured the dvd drive, not the
cd-rw drive, and I don't really know enough about setting up the
ide-scsi stuff and all the related stuff to get it working.

Speaking of debian, I was under the impresssion that it was a pretty
full-featured distro, but my install seemed more like a bare-bones
install than anything. Hardly any of my hardware was set up by debian,
and the software included seemed minimal. I had to manually set up X
and after a while I was able to get a KDE session going. Anyway, I'm
not whining about it (smile) Just wondering if perhaps there's something
I should be doing during the install that I didn't...

"And so the CD-RW saga continues.." :)

Justin

P.S. I CC'd the list in case anyone has any insights into the /dev/pg*
thing.