Re: user passwords in SuSE 8.0

Subject: Re: user passwords in SuSE 8.0
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 09:37:49 AKDT

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:07:15 -0900
"Justin Dieters" <enderak@gci.net> wrote:

> I came across a curious (stupid?) limitation in SuSE 8.0.. User
> passwords are limited to 8 characters. Trying to set up or change
> passwords through Yast2 will not let you go more than 8 characters, and
> when using 'passwd' at the command line, it simply says 'truncating
> password to 8 characters'. Anyone out there know how to, or have any
> ideas how to get around this so I can specify longer passwords?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Since I didn't see it specifically mentioned here, and someone might search the archives for an answer:

In Suse 7.x (and apparently 8.0 which I don't have) you can enable longer passwords.

Start YaST2, go to the Security & Users section, start the Security Settings module.

On the Security Settings page, choose Custom Settings from the various choices there. Click or tab to Next depending on whether or not you're running X.

In the Checks section, you can choose to activate MD5 passwords. Do so.
In the password length section, you can select minimum and maximum password lengths. Choose appropriate values for your system (mine are set to 12 and 24).

Now you can finish walking through the other screens in the module, and finish up YaST2. Note that the minumum password length will not affect passwords already set on the system, it will only come into play when they are changed. If you want certain passwords to be shorter, change the minimum password length in YaST2, set the password, and then change it back.

Hope this helps!

James