need to create a file of all binary zeros

Subject: need to create a file of all binary zeros
From: Buddha (buddha@gci.net)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 11:57:51 AKDT

Problem:
I need to generate a file that is 2,000,000 KB and filled with binary
zeros. Can this be done on my Linux box? (I have Perl installed.) For
some reason I can't cut-n-paste binary zeros on my Win2K machine.

Background Info:
I have a 270GB Snap Server that I need to wipe of personal info to include
SSNs, phone #s, FOUO info, etc. This requires a 'DOD wipe' which is three
passes of alternating binary ones and zeros, then a fourth pass of any
randomn ASCII character between a and Z. PGP disk won't wipe network
drives so I came up with this idea to fill up the unit with files
comprised of ones and zeros. I wrote three VBScripts to create files
comprised of FF, AA, and 55 (11111111, 10101010, and 01010101) but for
some reason Windows won't copy the ASCII character that is 00 hex.
(There's probably some good reason for this...)

Thanx in advance,
-Jim "Buddha" McMorris