Debugging Evolution problems

Subject: Debugging Evolution problems
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 08:36:23 AKDT

I have not yet tried this yet, but thought I would post it anyway. Here is
a possible method to trouble shoot problems with using Evolution.

Mike

  Follow these steps to see the transactions between Evolution and your
mail server:

    * Exit evolution and run the killev command.
    * Open two terminal windows.
    * In the first terminal, set the environment variable
CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG to 1.
      In BASH:
      export CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1
      In TCSH:
      setenv CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG 1
    * In the first terminal, run evolution-mail > /tmp/mail.out 2>&1
    * Wait a few seconds for evolution-mail to initialize.
    * In the second terminal, run evolution
* Use Evolution to generate the server traffic you want to record.

The server traffic will appear in the first terminal window (or the
/tmp/mail.out file) delimited by the words sending: and receiving: