sharing partitions

Subject: sharing partitions
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 11:51:14 AKDT

I just have a simple question hopefully someone has first-hand knowledge
about. Here's my plan, to have two hard drives, one just for /home and
the other one I want to partition up so I can have a reliable
installation for doing important stuff on one partition, and a partition
to put the latest and greatest beta version of whatever is new, so I can
play with it and test stuff without the possibility of messing up my
'good' installation.

I am planning on having two different users, 'enderak' on the good
installation and 'test' or something like that on the other installation
(so I don't get personal settings crossed and that kind of thing). So I
don't anticipate any problems with the two installations sharing the
same /home partition.

My main question then is will there be any problem sharing the swap
partition? I am under the impression that it gets cleared out first
thing when you boot up, but I don't know if there might be some residual
effects that could crop up. Is there any reason why I would want to go
with two separate swap partitions rather than a single swap partition?

Also if there are any insights into what to do or not to do with a setup
like this, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Justin