AKLUG Presentation on Security

Subject: AKLUG Presentation on Security
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 14:08:54 AKDT

Below is a description of what Bob Reny of Acclaim Technologies will be
presenting at our next meeting on Wednesday August 21st, 2002 at the AIDEA
building.

The focus of my discussion is to really show the importance of a "complete"
security architecture/assessment.

 I will show how current vulnerabilities, and the exploits used to take
advantage of those vulnerabilities. Then, I will show a process for
understanding the exploits using a common reference point, the network. The
presentation will then lead to Risk assessment. Whether internal, self-audit

using freeware tools, and other readily available sources of information or
an Outside trusted third party performing a "risk assessment." This leading

to a circle of; understanding the vulnerabilities, understanding the
exploits, assessing the Risk, and making the decision to mitigate the risk,
or accept the risk.

I want people to walk away from this meeting understanding that security is
several layers deep, and show how those layers interact and rely on each
other. From Policy, to Hardware, Authentication to access.