Journal of a madman (Vol 1., Issue 2)

Subject: Journal of a madman (Vol 1., Issue 2)
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 11:07:16 AKDT

Here are a few things that have since come up since the change over to
Linux:

1. Can't open old WP files (we have already seen discussion on this)
2. Default colors on "Solitaire". I think it is called Patience
3. Wife wants to start the SOS support group (Significant Other Support
Group) :)
4. Printing preference
5. Coolness factor

1. I won't spend much time on this since the AKLUG group already hashed
through that you need to use WordPerfect to save the files in Word format,
then use OpenOffice to open those.

2. What can I say about this...everyone has their own preferences, right?

3. Although she is just kidding around...it probably isn't a bad idea.
Maybe we should address these things at one of our upcoming meetings?

4. The printing preferences for Mozilla are set to use the standard lpr
command. In their wisdom, the folks at cups added .cups to all the
commands...so the lpr command now becomes lpr.cups. So we could change it
at print time...but it wouldn't stay persistent.

After posting a message to the AKLUG group, Chris Swingley gave the info
posted below. We'll give it a try and let you know.

5. I wanted to spend a little time on this one. You see, my wife mentioned
to me that nobody cares what OS we use at home. My contention is that it is
in fact "Cool" to use Linux on the desktop. I explained that anyone who is
anyone would say that we were cool if we had Linux on our desktop. Her
response is that there has yet to be a person who as asked her what
operating system she currently uses, hence not a person saying how cool we
are to use Linux on the desktop.

I would like to remedy that by providing our home e-mail address: barjunk at
attglobal dot net.

BTW, I got in BIG TROUBLE for forgetting to transfer the WP files
properly...oh boy! :)
Now I know she loves me, because even after that she keeps me around.

Mike

Chris Swingley says:

In /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref/unix.js there are a series of printer
related preference variables:

    pref("print.print_command", "lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}
        ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}");
    pref("print.printer_list", ""); // list of printers, seperated by spaces
    pref("print.print_reversed", false);
    pref("print.print_color", true);
    pref("print.print_landscape", false);
    pref("print.print_paper_size", 0);

    // Enables you to specify the gap from the edge of the paper to the
    // margin
    // this is used by both Printing and Print Preview
    pref("print.print_edge_top", 4); // 1/100 of an inch
    pref("print.print_edge_left", 4); // 1/100 of an inch
    pref("print.print_edge_right", 4); // 1/100 of an inch
    pref("print.print_edge_bottom", 4); // 1/100 of an inch

    // print_extra_margin enables platforms to specify an extra gap or
    // margin
    // around the content of the page for Print Preview only
    pref("print.print_extra_margin", 0); // twips

    pref("print.whileInPrintPreview", false);

I'll bet that if you yank these and paste them into
~/.mozilla/[username]/[wierd random string]/user.js you can tweak them
and the changes will be permenant. You may need to prepend the string
'user_' to the beginning (i.e. user_pref("foobarkey", "foobarvalue");),
and you probably should only edit these things when mozilla isn't
running.

There are details about doing this somewhere on mozilla.org.