UML network problems

Subject: UML network problems
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 00:11:19 AKDT

I have been attempting to play with User Mode Linux on my Gentoo box and
am having problems getting networking going. Actually I'm having more
problems than that, but one at a time.

I seem to have a working UML kernel going and can boot a rescue image on
it. I have tried to follow the instructions for setting up networking
both on Gentoo's site and the UML project site, they are nearly
identical.

I have the ethertap and iptables_nat modules loaded without error
messages. I have started iptables and ip_forward with the recommended
command lines.

eth0 on the host system has an ip address of 192.168.2.103

I have attempted starting UML with:

# linux load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 \
> initrd=rescue.gz root=/dev/ram0 ubd0=root_fs ubd1=swap_fs \
> ubd2=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 eth0=ethertap,tap0,,192.168.0.254

and

# linux load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 \
> initrd=rescue.gz root=/dev/ram0 ubd0=root_fs ubd1=swap_fs \
> ubd2=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 eth0=ethertap,tap0,,192.168.2.254

In either case the rescue image boots to a command prompt at which point
I assign an ip address to my virtual eth0 of 192.168.2.106 (using the
second version of the above command line). The instructions at both
sites imply that at this point I should be able to ping my real eth0 and
move on to setting up routing without giving any clues as to where to
look when I can't ping anything but my virtual eth0.

I have attempted setting up routing anyway and whether routing or
pinging I receive a network unreachable error message.

Anybody got any hints as to where I should be looking to troubleshoot
this?

Jim Gribbin