virus scanning in procmail

Subject: virus scanning in procmail
From: Matthew Schumacher (schu@schu.net)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 11:00:18 AKDT

All,

I have a need to filter emails for viruses based on a procmail rule so I
wrote a script that accepts an email via STDIN and produces the same
email (or a virus found message) though STDOUT.

This makes filtering based on a rule much easier because you can use
procmail syntax like this:

:0 fhbw
| scanmail.pl

As opposed to filtering every message using a LDA wrapper such as virge,
amavis or others.

While the script works great it is a little slow for my mail load. The
problem is in the time it takes to spawn perl and the required
MIME::Tools modules.

I was thinking that the best way to solve this problem would be to make
the perl script into a daemon and bind it to a unix socket and write a
small C program to pass the data to the socket.

The problem is that I don't know how to handle threading or sockets, or
how to write a lick of C.

Is there anyone on the list that could do these things? I would be
happy to accept a quote for your time so that you can be paid for your
work. Or perhaps you would fine usefulness in the script and desire to
contribute.

If interested reply to this email and I'll mail you a copy of the script.

thanks,

schu

--
"We'll need 2000 crickets, 4 cans of Easy Cheese, and the fluid from 18
glowsticks for this plan to work..."