Patching PHP

Subject: Patching PHP
From: Jon Reynolds (jonr@destar.net)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 11:34:18 AKDT

How exactly do you patch an application on your machine? I want to apply the
patch to php-4.2.1 for the security update but am finding it hard to locate
an example of the command to type. So far this is what I am trying to
execute 'patch -p0 --check < /path/to/patch'. When I enter this i get the
text that this looks like a 'unified diff' and then it ask me which file(s)
do I want to patch. At this point I don't know which files need to be
patched. I have put the patch which is named 'php-4.2.1-to-4.2.2.patch' in
the directory where I gunzipped and tarred it. Do I just need to make it an
executable and run it?

Jon