FW: Qmail questions

Subject: FW: Qmail questions
From: W.D.McKinney (deem@wdm.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 14:49:19 AKDT

Here's some good advice :-)

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of peter green
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 7:06 AM
Subject: Re: Qmail questions

* Brian <signal@shreve.net> [020530 08:46]:
> We are currently building a new mail server, which we will be moving our
> customers over to. Currently our mail server is
> sendmail/procmail/cucipop.
>
> Qmail looks like a big learning curve, for someone who has been
> conditioned to sendmails ways. I am armed with "The qmail Handbook" by
> Dave Still, and have read over the "Life with Qmail" site.

Good choices! :-)

> I am using the src rpm's right from qmail.org. But I am confused about
> some of the subsystems they have in the qmail-run directory.
>
> dt-run
> qmail-run
> other-run

Ah, you are using the ``memphis'' RPMs? I don't have any experience with
them, but let me offer my experience from having run qmail for four years:

0) It's ``qmail'', not ``Qmail''. ;-)

1) Install from source .tar.gz the first time or two. You can install from
Life with qmail verbatim and have a well-working system. To boot, you'll
actually understand all of the parts and how they interact, PLUS the qmail
list (see below) will be familiar with your setup.

2) If you REALLY want RPMs, I would actually give Bruce Guenter's RPMs a try
(available from [http://untroubled.org/]). I've used these for the last
couple of years to maintain a goodly number of qmail installations and they
work well. At a minimum, get:

  MAIN PAGE: supervise-scripts and ucspi-unix
  ``Source RPM for a patched qmail'': qmail-1.03+patches-??.src.rpm
  ``Other RPMs...'': daemontools and ucspi-tcp

They don't conform to Lwq but they'll get you up and running with SMTP
service and local delivery /toute suite/. Further, Bruce supports his
software separately from the qmail list[*]; send email to
[bgware-subscribe@lists.em.ca] (for his homegrown software) and
[rpms-subscribe@lists.em.ca] (for his packages of other people's software)
to subscribe.

[*] If you haven't already heard, you'll need to put on the ultra-thick skin
if you venture on to the qmail list. Folks can be cranky, but only if you
don't do your homework. :-) If you *do* end up there, please read
[http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/writings/12-steps-to-qmail-list-bliss.html]
thoughtfully.

> I really can't find much on these except dt-run. Is qmail-run and
> other-run alternatives? Or am I suppose to install those as well? I am
> installing ucspi-tcp and daemontools. Also eventually I will be
> installing the vpopmail and admin stuff from Inter7.

3) Take a look at Bruce's vmailmgr as well. I've found that although there
is a fine layer of spit and polish on vpopmail, it can be pretty ugly under
the hood. I find vmailmgr to be more elegant, YMMV.

Feel free to followup (on- or off-list) on any of this. Good luck!

/pg

--
Peter Green : Architekton Internet Services, LLC : pcg@ais.cx