USB Compact Flash Readers

Subject: USB Compact Flash Readers
From: Mellor Mike (mmellor1@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 05:23:07 AKDT

Hello -

I'd like to use a CF reader instead of my digital
camera to transfer files to/from a CF card.
I have a generic card reader that doesn't seem to
work. It has a LED that shows it is getting power
from the USB connection, I hear my hard drive gurgle
when I plug it in, but when I try to mount it
(/dev/sdb1, same as the camera) I get a 'not a valid
block device' error.

My question is: is there a trick to getting a CF
reader to work, vs. a digital camera in usb-storage
mode? Are all CF readers useable under Linux, or only
certain ones?

Probably a better question is: is anybody using a CF
reader, and if so, what type?

Thanks.

Mike