Re: Windoze Shares

Subject: Re: Windoze Shares
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 09:35:27 AKDT

Heya Mark, your email address is freaky. mark@outland

Here's the message I tried to send to you....

I don't think you can control a linux server using Active Directory, but you
can definitely share files that are being shared off of an Active Directory
domain controller. Hope that makes sense.

For instance I have a Windows2000 AD server. It's name is Aragorn. It has
a shared folder called fshare.

If I want to map that shared folder to my linux box I would use the command
below

mount -t smbfs -o username=chris,password=12345 //aragorn/fshare
/linux_dir_name

substitute linux_dir_name with whatever the name of the directory on the
linux box is that you want to contain the shared files. On my linux box I
just created a directory called aragorn. So the command to map the windows
share to the linux box for me is this

mount -t smbfs -o username=chris,password=12345 //aragorn/fshare /aragorn

The user name and password should be a valid user on the windows system, not
the linux system.

I just tried setting it up using the exact same command as above and it
worked.

When I cd to the directory /aragorn on my linux box all of the shared
windows files are sitting right there just like if they were on the linux
box itself.

Let me know if you are having troubles.

Chris.