swap space filling up

Subject: swap space filling up
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 19:17:54 AKDT

Hey all. My computer has 256megs of ram and 128megs of swap. I have a
little indicator docked in my taskbar in KDE that shows my swap keeps
getting more and more filled. It's now at about 80% full (my ram is at
about 50% it says) and I don't really have anything running.

I've noticed over the past couple days that it's slowly been creeping up
more and more full. I was under the impression that this should go back
down to 0% as processes were stopped and main memory was freed up..If
so, what could be the problem and/or how can I clear it? (without
restarting ;) ) Or does it just stay full and toss stuff out on an as
needed basis?

Thanks!
Justin