KDE3 troubles...

Subject: KDE3 troubles...
From: Joshua J.Kugler (isd@as.uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 16:23:19 AKDT

Hello all (especially Civilime :)

Well, I installed KDE3, using the packages from the KDE FTP site. No
worries. After fixing a couple bugs, I was doing fine. Well, I was reading
on the Mandrake website today, and it said I should run update-menus. So,
even though all my menus were fine, I did. Well, now my menus are empty. As
in, no entries. None. And I can't run kcontrol (KDE configuration) from the
kicker icon. 1) There is a general icon there, indicating it wasn't found,
and 2) when I click it, it gives me the message:

Service '/usr/opt/kde3/share/applnk-mdk/KControl.desktop' is malformatted.

(By the way, that should be 'malformed.' Malformatted isn't a word. At
least not according to Merriam-Wester.)

So, where is the config file that I toasted? What do I need to symlink back
to make everything work? I even uninstalled then reinstalled KDE3, but no
luck. Thanks for any help you guys can give. I can get around with Alt-F2
(run command) but a menu would be nice. :)

BTW: Mandrake 8.2. All the menu entries are in my home directory, as well as
/opt/kde3/share, as well as /usr/share (left over from kde2).

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks