Sound Error Update

Subject: Sound Error Update
From: Kirk McFadden (captkirk1767@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 01:50:31 AKDT

Success with Maestro sound card/KDE/Toshiba laptop.
RH7.2 kernel 2.4.7-10 When I start KDE I would get
"sound server error: cpu overload, aborting" but I
would still get sound. I went into the control center
in KDE and reset the mixer settings to "1" in each
field; no help. Then tried to adjust the speed on the
sliding scale in the i/o tab; no help. Then I
de-selected the "start aRts on KDE startup" field and
also de-selected the "run soundserver with realtime
priority" with the theory that I would try not to tax
the cpu with every feature possible coming right out
of the gate and sure enough, I can restart everything
and not get the recurrent error. I tried some of the
games and got sound and I of course ran the cd player
and it makes noise. I guess it all works. I don't know
what the "aRts server" is so I don't know if it's
working; in as how I de-selected it not to run on KDE
startup, but it seems like I'm getting sound and all
without the error. Thanks again for the help/...captkrk