file transfer times

Subject: file transfer times
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 11:19:42 AKST

Hello all-

I have a lan sitting behind a firewall that consists of several linux boxen and
a Sun ultra2 running solaris. I have found a great disparity between file
transfer rates among various boxes.

For example, transfering the same 1.2 MB file btwn box A and box B:

going in the direction A -> B I get a transfer rate of ~2000 kB/s
going in the opposite direction, B->A, I get a transfer rate of ~50 kB/s

This is quite a repeatable result, though of course the numbers vary somewhat
each time. Still the order of magnitude difference is the same.

Other combinations of boxes show intermediate results ~200-400 kB/s either
direction. scp also shows similar results, about a factor of 10 btwn directions

Any ideas as to what gives here?

PQO

   | |
   | Dr. Peter Q. Olsson, |
   | Chief Scientist, Alaska Experimental Forecast Facility |
   | University of Alaska Anchorage |
   | 2811 Merrill Field Drive |
   | Anchorage, AK 99501 |
   | voice: (907) 264-7449 |