Fw: Hollings Bill Poitn

Subject: Fw: Hollings Bill Poitn
From: newnham (newnham@gci.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 12:40:52 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: will newnham
To: aklug@aklug.org
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2002 12:37 PM
Subject: Hollings Bill Poitn

I didn't get a verification that my email was sent so I re submitting it. Its a point i made about the hollings bill and I want to know if i should submitt it to our senator.

here it is

5. If the Hollings bill passes it will inadvertantly affect the consumer market, and inturn will make a black market for ripped software as big, if not bigger, than the current drug market today. Granted, Drug enforcement does prevent the public use of illegal drugs. But software piracy is not public, it is very often performed in ones private dwellings. This will make another illegal industry that is popular and profitable. In turn It will also create better programmers that are angry and annoyed at the government. If this happens people will have great deal of knowledge about computer protectcion and more prone to hack public and government agencies. Security of huge network infrastructures is already a problem, this bill will make it even worse.