RE: upgrade ssh remotly without restarting system

Subject: RE: upgrade ssh remotly without restarting system
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 15:17:15 AKST

> Funny -- I just upgraded openssh and openssl right on top of my ssh
> session without interruption. The beauty of *nix, keeping my in-use
> library and program in memory even though i've overwritten it with a
> new version.
>
> Of course, this doesn't work with the win32 port.. :-)

It's been awhile, but at one point I made the mistake of installing a new
version of openssl over a ssh link -- and the link was abruptly dropped.
Could have been the make file, perhaps it was regenerating a local key,
replaced the previous libs and did the 'ldconfig' thing. I don't remember
exactly what it did that caused it, but I couldn't get back in until I went
to the console and finished the ssh installation. Pain in the ass.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto