RE: aklug Digest V2 #74

Subject: RE: aklug Digest V2 #74
From: Lee (lee@afabco.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 19:58:52 AKST

short version: Iomega bad.

longer version: out of 14 Jaz drives, internal and external, over the years
and various machines and customers, including ones I installed, and that
other folks installed, all have failed. Including drives mfred well after
the 'click of death' debacle some years ago.

jaz drives: 100% failure rate.

out of zip drives, about half (I didn't keep count of these, but that sounds
about right) have failed.

I have a zip drive currently in my desk box, but that's only because I had
it. I won't make the mistake of paying money for or spending time on
anything from IOmega again. Unless I'm paid to, and the client understands
'no warranty' up front.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good multi-gig alternatives. Suggestions
anyone?

additionally, linux is not as 'removeable media' friendly as certain other
Proprietary OSes. That may be me and my ignorance, however.

Good luck.

Lee